So why use infographics? Infographics have taken our world by storm, as we are all more and more inclined these days to process data visually than through the written word. Neuroscience explains why: according to research from 3M (maker of Post-its, among other things), 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text! So some smart person somewhere invented infographics (probably Al Gore) to help us tell our stories. Now, smart NH businesses are making use of these visually pleasing, data-rich illustrations to educate and engage new customers.
There are a number of great reasons why you should consider using infographics in your NH business. Here’s a handful:
- They are visually impactful and easily scannable, both aspects that match up with today’s web user
- They are excellent vehicles for presenting facts easily and in a neat, focused fashion.
- They help establish you as an authority on the topic
- One of the best benefits of using infographics is they can go viral, which can often bring about large traffic spikes and search engine benefits
- As images, they’re easily shared, which offers a number of benefits (according to research conducted by social media expert Dan Zarrella, images have more shares and likes on Facebook than any other post type—even video)
So to show you some of the magic of infographics, check out this infographic from MarketingTechBlog.com.
How to create your own infographics
If you want to make your own infographics, you can find sites and tools that allow you to jump in and prepare breathtaking infographics. At the basic level you can make them in PowerPoint, which isn’t as challenging as you may assume. If you’re wanting a bit more advanced or polished option, you might look into a tool like Visual.ly, where you could customize existing templates to your needs, or perhaps make use of a service like PiktoChart or Infogram.
What if you haven’t a design gene in you?
Simply outsource them. Often times we don’t have the time, skills or patience to get the job done, particularly if you’ve never really opened Photoshop before. Don’t worry, as there are top-notch designers ready to create your infographics for you,and for a reasonable expense. Examples of these places include 99Designs, Elance, Odesk, Fiverr, and Freelancer.com. Be sure you request samples of their work, set clear boundaries and expectations, and communicate clearly your vision, so there aren’t any surprises come delivery time!