Its time to get ready for 2015! In today’s last post of 2014 I have a quick but very important tweak you should make to your website. If its important to you to make sure your web site doesn’t look old and stale as we go into the new year then you will want to take a minute and check this out before the end of the year.
Be sure to do this one thing right away.
Update Your Copyright Date
The first thing I recommend you check is the Copyright Date on the bottom of your website. If you display copyright dates on your web pages (which you absolutely should), you’ll want to change the copyright date to 2015. Depending on how your website is built this can be a very easy change to make but you may need the help of your website designer to get this checked off the To Do list.
Conduct a Website Audit
Second, you should conduct a page by page walkthrough audit looking for outdated phrases. For example, if you use the phrase ‘New for 2014’ on your sales pages, change that to ‘new for 2015’.
Website visitors who see the old date may think the product is stale and you haven’t bothered to keep up with the times. Avoid that by changing the date.
Make sure everything is working properly. Look for broken images, broken links, and out dated information that needs a ‘fresh coat of paint.’
Check Your Online Presence
Lastly, I would recommend doing some simple online searches to check your online presence.
1. Online Search #1 = Google Your Business Name – For example, in my case I would Google “NH Strategic Marketing” and I would see something like this. Here are some things to look for:
- Is your Google + Business page associated with your website URL? If not that’s not good and you should call me.
- What kind of online Review presence do you have on that Google results page? Are there positive reviews? Do you have a star rating or not? (most people surveyed say they don’t trust a business with less than 6 reviews).
- Check each link that shows up on the first page search results for your business name. Are there any results that you wish weren’t there? These can be a HUGE blemish that could be turning away a massive amount of potentials clients so its worth it to get these negative results pushed off the page (we can help with that).
- Would a potential client be impressed if they Googled your business name or would they decide to go check out your competitors instead? This is happening every day for YOUR business it whether you believe it or not.
2. Online Search #2 = Google Important Keywords – For example, in the case of my business I would search for something like “NH SEO Company” or “NH Online Marketing Company” (which we rank nicely for each). What are the keywords potential clients would search for to find your business? Here are some things to look for:
- Are you showing up in the Google Ads section at the top of the page (or are your competitors)?
- Are you showing up on that first page of Google search results? Are you showing up in the top Organic rankings?
- Is your business showing up in the Maps listings (also known as the 7-pack)? This is critical and there are some things to fix with your business so that you can show up properly. We can help with that too.
Showing up in Google to people who are looking for what you business offers is CRITICAL to growing your business in 2015 especially as more and more of us rely on Internet searches to find answers to our questions and find businesses to help solve our problems.
Making these small changes before you get deep into 2015 can keep your business website looking fresh and will show potential customers
Einstein said “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
I want to personally help you with a 2014 End of Year Marketing Audit (Value of $497). Along your side, my team and I will analyze your marketing investments, map out exactly what worked to invest in and what you need to cut immediately, where you should double down, and how to optimize your 2015 online marketing results.
Start 2015 with a plan to grow your business. Register for the Audit by Clicking Here.
Here’s hoping you have a happy and safe New Year!