The Internet has become the New Yellow Pages and in this day and age your customers are using it to look for Local Listings For your business. These local business listings are officially known as “Citations.”
These Local Citations are defined as any “mention of your business name and address on other webpages—even if there is no link to your website.”
An example of a citation might be an online yellow pages directory where your business is listed, but not linked to. Citations can also be found on Google + (probably THE most important citation listing), Facebook, Yelp, local chamber of commerce pages, or on a local business association page that includes your business information, even if they are not linking at all to your website.
Citations are a vitally-important piece of the ranking algorithms in Google and Bing. Other factors being equal, businesses with a greater number of citations will probably rank higher than businesses with fewer citations.
A well-optimized Google+ Local page can benefit your digital marketing strategy in the following ways:
- Outrank your competitors in the local search rankings.
- Build the authority of your brand through +1's and user reviews (once you get 5 Reviews in Google you will see a Star Rating next to your website URL and on your Google + business page).
- Drive traffic to your website. (more traffic = more leads = more leads means more customers)
- Convert more visitors into leads and clientele.
Fixing Up Your Local Citations Will Directly Affect How Your Business Ranks.
Quick stats about local mobile use:
- 50% of mobile search is for local businesses.
- 61% of local searches result in purchases.
- 50% of smartphone shoppers use a GPS/mapping app to find a retail location.
- Only 33% of advertisers have a mobile optimized website (the world is going Mobile so I recommend fixing this up as fast as possible)
Citations from well-established and well-indexed website properties such as Superpages.comcan help increase the degree of certainty the search engines have about your business's contact information and categorization.
In essence, Google & Bing look at these Citation listings to help them confirm that your business “is who it says it is!”
This can mean that you rank higher in the Local Listings and get more traffic!
Citations are particularly important in less-competitive niches, like plumbing or electrical, where many service providers don't have websites themselves.
Without much other information, the search engines rely heavily on whatever information they can find on these Citation Listing websites.
Citations also validate that a business is part of a particular geographic community.
It's hard for a scammer to fake membership in a chamber of commerce or a city or county business index, or being written about in a local online newspaper or popular blog. Google looks at these signals to help validate their listings.
Citations and links from these kinds of websites can dramatically improve your local search engine rankings and if your .
The Way we update Local Citation Listings is to go to the SOURCE – which are the Four Major Data Centers that Google Pays attention to: Factual, Acxiom, Infogroup and Neustar.
If you would like to learn more about how we can update your Business listings (quickly and affordably) then contact us here.
I hope you enjoyed this post and please let me know if you have any questions.