The Internet should be a big part of any landscaper’s overall marketing strategy in this day and age. There are a lot of ways to market your landscaping business online. You might be wondering how to market your landscaping business online. Some strategies are better than others, some are a waste of money, and some are not right for every landscaper.
Whether you focus on residential or commercial landscaping, your ideal customers are searching the Internet right now for landscapers like you. Showing up on the front page of Google in as many ways as possible is essential if you want a steady flow of leads coming your way.
My team and I have been working with landscapers helping them grow from one-man shows to multi-million dollar landscaping companies by leveraging the online marketing strategies I will share below. Digital marketing for landscapers covers a lot of areas and I will be diving into each of them below that we have found to be valuable along with sharing my recommendations. Let’s get started.
Why Marketing Your Landscaping Business Online Is So Important - Effective Landscaper Marketing Strategies
Almost 46% of all Google searches are people looking for a local service business like a landscaper. As a landscaper, you need to be leveraging online marketing to position your landscaping company for success. Showing up on the front page of Google when these motivated potential customers are looking for you is essential.
Between Google and Facebook almost 80% off ALL internet traffic is referred from these two websites. You are missing out if your landscaping business isn’t showing up on both of them. We have effectively marketed landscaping businesses using a combination of Google Ads and Facebook Ads.
A Landscaping Website That Stands Out In Your Market - The Foundation of Your Online Marketing Plan
A website is the “home base” of your landscaping business and it is crucial that it represents your business in the right way. It really should be the foundation of your online marketing for your landscaping business.
Some of the crucial elements we like to include on landscaper websites include:
- Click To Call Phone Number: Make sure your website has a phone number in the top right hand corner
- Easy Contact Form: Easy to find and fill out contact form.
- Attractive Home Page: You must have an attractive home page for your landscaping website that helps convey you are good at what you do, where you are located, and your service area.
- Real Photography: Add real authentic images of you, your team, your work to the homepage and throughout your website.
- Secure: Your website MUST be https secure in this day and age. If it is not you are losing customers and Google is penalizing your SEO rankings. You should have an SSL installed by your webmaster to make sure your site is secure.
- Fast Loading: Your website needs to be FAST in this day and age. If it takes too long to load you are losing potential customers and getting penalized by Google.
- Mobile Friendly: Your landscaper website MUST be mobile friendly. We always advise our clients to think Mobile First in this day and age. You can check how mobile friendly your website is with this free Google tool.
- Video: Add video elements to your website
- Customer Reviews: Showcase your online reviews more prominently on the home page with a tool like https://sotellus.com/
- Live Chat: Consider adding live-chat to your website. It can help drive more leads your way.
- Service Pages: Add a customized service pages for each of your varied landscaping services.
- Call To Actions: Update the Calls To Action (CTA’s) on each page to ensure the speak to your customer avatar and tell them exactly what to do next. Ie. “Call for a Free quote on your landscape design project today!”
- Search Engine Optimized: You can’t just have a “pretty” website that doesn’t generate any business for you. Like a car without an engine, a website without good Search Engine Optimization “under the hood” won’t help your business grow. Use a plugin like Yoast or All In One SEO on your WordPress site to make sure each page is optimized to rank for specific keywords.
Get Free Landscaping Leads From Google By Optimizing Your Google My Business Listing
This is a vitally-important piece of your landscaper online marketing and it is completely Free to claim and optimize. It amazes me when I see businesses that have never claimed this free listing and optimized it to attract customers
Google local results appear for people who search for businesses and places near their location. They're shown in a number of places across Maps and Google Search. For example, you’ll probably see local results if you search for “landscaper near me” from your mobile device. Google will try to show searchers the kind of nearby landscaper that they may like to have help them with their project.
Your Google Business listing can help you get on the front page of Google at no cost if you optimize it correctly. Check out this screenshot of one of our Landscaper marketing clients who shows up prominently in many local landscaper keyword searches:
If you haven’t yet claimed your Google My Business page for your landscaping business you can do so at https://google.com/business
Here Are Just Some Of The Items That Need To Be Optimized For Your Landscaping Google My Business Listing:
- Add your EXACT business name
- Add your phone number
- Maximize categories
- Add your list of services
- Add lots of great photos of your work, your team, your facility if you have one, your equipment, etc
- Add a thorough business description
- Add your hours
- Add your business location
- Create your ‘Shortname’
- Fill out the Google business list to 100%
On an ongoing basis you should be adding New photos to show off some of the projects you have completed. Additionally there is a “Posts” feature so you can highlight specific services, promote specific offers, and more. There have been reports that using this Post feature can boost your visibility even further so I would definitely recommend taking advantage of it.
Google Business Page Optimization Tip: Get Reviews
One final tip, ask your customers for Reviews. Google does look at the reviews and keywords in the reviews your customers leave for you so I would recommend that you consistently ask your customers for feedback and make it easy for them to leave a review for you. Within the back office of your Google Business page you can copy a short link that you can give out to customers to have them leave a review for you.
Speaking of reviews….
Manage The Online Reputation For Your Landscaping Business - It Is The New Word Of Mouth Marketing...
Your online reputation matters and prospective customers for your landscaping business want to know if others have done business with you and how it went. More reviews can help you improve your organic rankings, increase your conversion rate, and help you attract more new customers. Online reviews are the new digital version of “word of mouth marketing.” Asking happy customers to leave you a review can be greatly helpful to improving your online reputation.
Here are some statistics on why your online reputation is important:
- 84% of people trust online reviews as much as a personal recommendation
- 90% of consumers read less than 10 reviews before forming an opinion about a business
- 74% of consumers say that positive reviews make them trust a local business more
- 58% of consumers say that the star rating of a business is most important
Important tip regarding online reviews: Ask happy customers for reviews and professionally respond to poor reviews. Many landscaping business owners have a love/hate relationship with online reviews. I understand completely but some simple strategies on your part will protect your online reputation and keep good customers coming your way.
I always advise my clients that the best defense against bad reviews (even fake reviews) is a large collection of good reviews from your happy landscaping clients.
One tip to get more Google reviews: when you are doing the walk through with your customer after a job and the customers say they love it say something like, “that’s great to hear Mr. Customer, would you mind if I email you a link to my Google business page later today to share that same review online? It would help me out a lot.
Encourage your happy clients to leave you reviews on your Google business page, your Facebook page, or other local business listing sites that accept reviews.
Respond to poor reviews with a professional, calm tone.
Hint: your response is really written for OTHER potential customers who may eventually read the bad review and your response. I recommend that you offer to “make right” legitimate complaints and do your best to take care of your customers. Sometimes you or your team make mistakes in business. It’s natural, just try your best to ‘make it right.’ Many people will be impressed by how you value their opinion and will give you a second chance. Once again, the best possible defense against a bad review is a steady stream of reviews from happy landscaping customers. You should be working on this every single week and every customer interaction is a chance for you to improve your online reputation.
Getting Your Landscaping Business To The Top Of Google - How To Run An Effective Google Ads Campaign
Google Ads (formerly Google AdWords) is Google's online advertising program that allows you to create online ads to reach audiences that are interested in the products and services you offer. Google ads is one of the most powerful tools we use in an overall landscaper digital marketing strategy. Google Ads, when done properly, allows your landscaping business to be on the front page of Google WHEN and WHERE your ideal customers are searching for you.
A Well-Run Google Ads Campaign Is Pretty Simple But Incredibly Effective Part Of Your Overall Marketing Strategy
The process is simple and some specific ways of running the campaign can greatly improve results. Here is the process in simple terms:
- Get FOUND – having your landscaping page show up prominently on the front page of Google.
- Right Keywords (Micro Campaigns & Negative Keywords)
- Right Geographic Targeting
- Right Positioning
- Right Bidding
- Get CLICKED – well written ads with full use of all the Google ad extensions helps people not only see your Google ad but to also get the click.
- Relevant Keyword
- Customized Ads
- A/B Tested Ads (Across ALL our Campaigns/Cities)
- Get CALLED – a properly-designed landing page is far more effective than driving straight to your website. The landing page is designed to get them to call you!
- High Converting Landing Pages
- High Converting Offer
- Call Tracking
“We Ran Google Ads For Our Landscaping Business But It Didn’t Work Well.”
We have heard this before from landscapers running their own Google ads campaigns or having some other agency run them. Nine times out of ten it is because the way they ran the campaign wasn’t ideal.
(It would be similar to me trying to install my own paver patio…it wouldn't be a pretty picture…)
There are a handful of key factors that go into running an effective Google ads campaign for a landscaping business. We have evaluated countless ad campaigns for landscapers and see some common mistakes being repeated which result in lackluster results. If you want your ads campaign to be effective you must structure it properly, manage it constantly, use a customized landing page, and track everything.
Here Are Some Vital Components Our Marketing Agency Has Found To Be Important In a Google Ads Campaign For a Landscaping Business:
- Dedicated Google Ads Certified Account Rep
- Customized High-Converting Landing Page
- Click To Call Phone Tracking
- Lead Generation Form Tracking
- Ad Split Testing
- 100 Day Post-Launch Optimization Process
- 15-Point Weekly Campaign Optimization Process
- Monthly Check In Meetings With NHSM Team
- Scale It – Maximize Google, Bing, Facebook
Bonus Tip: Be sure to have the Google Remarketing pixel and the Facebook Pixel on your website and landing page so you can retarget visitors with a YouTube video ad and Facebook ads to “boomerang” people back to your business.
Getting Your Business To Rank High On The Front Page Of Google With Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization (known as SEO) is the process of optimizing your landscaping company website. There are three critical factors that go into “Good SEO’ and those include:
- Technical On Site SEO
To increase organic traffic from search engines like Google and Bing you will need to check all three boxes and do a good job. The end result will be higher organic rankings and more inbound leads for your landscaping business.
Here’s A List Of Factors That Help Contribute To Your Landscaping Website's SEO and How To Get Them Done Properly
A Properly Built Landscaping Website
A well-built landscaping website is critical if you want to rank in Google. Do it yourself websites don’t rank well in Google. We always build on WordPress which is very search engine friendly. You will want to build or re-design your website so that it provides a good experience for the end user. A good website designed by a Pro will have “baked in” technical SEO and will help improve your organic rankings (estimated investment: $5,500-$9,000). A website should be rebuilt every 4-6 years.
When our team builds a website we also connect your website with Google Analytics and Google Search Console. By doing this it helps our Spider friends at Google “crawl” your site. This helps them better understand who you are, what you do, and who to connect with you when they type in certain keywords in Google. Not to mention it also gives you valuable reporting metrics to track your progress.
Good Technical / On-Site SEO
Ongoing Content Creation / Blogging
Many landscapers I know have zero interest in writing blog posts BUT I can tell you adding new content to your site will absolutely help you in your efforts to rank for more keywords relevant to your business. Adding 2-4 new blog posts every month about relevant topics that are focussed around keyword phrases you’re trying to rank for will help you grow your organic rankings.
Off-Site Backlinking Strategies To Improve Rankings
Get Online Reviews
I talked above why this is so important. One reason to get online reviews is that it can help improve your SEO. Create a strategy to ask happy clients to write online reviews (preferably first on your Google Business listing), consistently over time.
Share Your Site Content On Social Media
Publish blog articles, photos of your work linking back to specific service pages and other useful website content to social media channels like Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn to get “social signals” that will help boost rankings further.
Improving SEO For Your Landscaper Website
To outrank your competitors in your local market proper SEO can go a long way. Constantly working to improve your organic rankings can help you get you more inbound leads. The combination of a well-built website, good technical SEO “under the hood” of your site, ongoing content creation, and getting new inbound links will help you reach top of the rankings in your local market. Just like ongoing property maintenance for one of your landscaping clients, your online SEO presence requires ongoing care and maintenance.
Facebook Marketing For Your Landscaping Business
Almost 80% off all traffic comes from 2 websites – Google and Facebook. Posting on your Facebook page is a recommended action and it can lead to a homeowner potentially seeing pictures of your work. If they like what they see they may reach out to you. What I always explain to my landscaping clients is Facebook is “pay to play.”
If you really want results from Facebook you need to invest in paid Facebook advertising.
Facebook Ads offers some of the most targeted advertising options in digital marketing. There are some simple Facebook paid advertising strategies I have seen work and would recommend:
- Facebook Lead Ads: I was skeptical on this Facebook ad format when we first started using them but my clients have had some good results with them. With Facebook Lead Ads, you can even get the lead to convert without having to leave Facebook.
You can get quote requests or call leads with users making very little effort. You will undoubtedly get some tire-kicker leads because of this but they do work. Facebook automatically plugs in most of the person's info (they have all that information already), so in just a few touchscreen taps the interested lead can reach out to you.
- Remarketing Ads: One of the ads I love using for my Landscaping clients is a series of simple re-marketing ads. Very simple but ultra-effective. Here's how they work. Let's say someone does a search on Google for a landscaper. They see your Google ad and click on it or they find your business in the maps listings and visit your website. When they visit your site you can then re-market to just those visitors on Facebook with a targeted ad. This lets you stay “top of mind” to those people who showed interest in your landscaping company but didn't yet take action. These simple re-marketing ads are VERRY effective to getting them tipped over the edge to reach out to you. A video remarketing ad is perfect for this ad format! Which brings me to….
Develop a Promotional Video For Your Landscaping Business
If a picture is worth a thousand words a video is worth a million. Video can be a great marketing tool to help differentiate you from all of the other landscapers in your area. It can also be used in multiple ways. On your website home page, for YouTube Video ads, Facebook Video and Video Remarketing ads.
You don't need a long video, just a short video saying who you are, why you are different, and showcasing your work. A good local videographer can help you create a short video perfect for these purposes. You can convey your main value offering, slip in a customer testimonial, and show a moving gallery of your best work. End the video with a simple and clear call to action. It will work perfectly to get you inbound phone calls!
Homeadvisor Leads? Angie’s List? Thumback? Are They Worth It?
If you are like most landscapers I know you may have tried one of these services. While these lead generation services can work I am not a big fan of them. These services make a lot of money by generating a lead that they resell to you and 4-5 of your competitors. You and your competitors all call to try and close the deal but the numbers aren't on your size. The lead gen service like Homeadvisor is making money hand over fist but it is an uphill battle for you.
My advice to my landscaping marketing clients is always to build your own assets rather than paying for a temporary flow of low-quality leads.
Landscaping Online Marketing - Closing Thoughts
The Internet is a powerful marketing tool for any landscaper. Having a good website, a good online marketing plan to attract leads, and a good online reputation are vital. There are a lot of ways to market your landscaping business online and some definitely work better than others. If you are a landscaper and are interested in a free discovery meeting I am happy to help and talk through any of this. You can contact us here.