Instagram seems to have taken the world by storm, and its recent acquisition by Facebook only confirms its entry and place in the big leagues. While it is every bit the social network that Facebook and Twitter are, there are some differences in marketing with Instagram that you need to understand if you intend to try marketing there.
First begin with absorbing two important facts: Instagram’s younger audience profile and your own market. The demographic facing you when marketing with Instagram is decidedly younger, and might not be a good fit for your business if your target market is over 30. Plain and simple. If you are marketing to the 15-28 crowd you’re golden — if the products you market are found in images on Instagram. If you’re selling gear for an SLR camera, you may need to get a bit creative to find any traction there.
Ways to effectively market on Instagram
Check out these 5 tips for marketing your business on Instagram.
- Use Video On Instagram – This newish feature in Instagram is much like Vine, but their videos are a massive 15 seconds as opposed to 6. Significantly more canvas to paint on.
- Use lots of hashtags – While engagement drops significantly on Twitter if you use more than 2 hashtags, the opposite appears to be the norm for Instagram. Load them up!
- Don’t post incessantly – Unlike many other social networks less can be more here. You don’t want to fill up your follower’s feeds and be less special. Focus on a few times a week and post great content.
- Optimize your Instagram Profile – Like other social networks, you’ll want to make sure your business profile is complete and utterly devoted to finding you and doing business with you.
- Follow other brands on Instagram – Finding and following related brands on Instagram is a must. Fortunately there are some good tools that help with this, like Statigram.
Instagram is a social media monster with a few specific caveats. Follow these and you may discover a rabid audience eager to do business with you.